S truck (4 wheel wagon)
About the exhibit
The Valley Heights S truck 4360 is a regular feature on the Valley Heights Mixed.
Steam Tram and Railway Preservation (Co-op) Society trading as Valley Heights Steam Tramway
S 4360 was built in 1921.
The original S type open wagons were built between 1907 and 1921 but during the 1940s a replacement programme was instituted with the ordering of 10 000 standard underframes and components from Commonwealth Engineering with the bodies from Clyde Workshops. They were delivered 1945-1958 and were allocated various numbers.
The wagons have a steel underframe with a steel and wood composite body and a wooden floor. The sides are 915 mm high and there is a 2.13 metre downward folding door each side.
Text from Railway freight wagons in New South Wales 1982, © John Beckhaus. Australian Railway Historical Society NSW Division, 1982. Used by permission.