Stephenson Loco CPC 2 Stevo
Stephenson Locomotive No CPC 2
About the exhibit
TYPE — 0-6-0 SMALL STEAM SADDLE TANK SHUNTING STEAM ENGINE — 2 IN CLASS
Stored at the Parramatta Park Steam Tramway until restored by the former NSW Rail Transport Museum at Thirlmere under contract during 1993. Following the arson attach that destroyed the Parramatta Park site and much of the collection, Stevo was relocated from Thirlmere to Valley Heights. Stevo received its accreditation for operation in February 2000.
Steam Tram and Railway Preservation (Co-op) Society trading as Valley Heights Steam Tramway
Stephenson Locomotive CPC 2 (Builders no 2994) was built in 1899 by the famous locomotive building firm of Messrs Robert Stephenson and Co. in Darlington, England.
Stevo commenced work new at Blue Circle Southern Cement, Portland as their no 2 in 1907 conveying loaded trucks of cement products from their works to the NSWGR Sidings at Portland, returning with loaded trucks of coal, etc. Note that the builder's plate shows 1899. This is not a mistake for it is thought no 2 languished on the 'showroom" floor at Darlington until sold to the cement company in 1907.
When the company withdrew the locomotive from service, it was acquired and transported by road in 1974 to the Steam Tram and Railway Preservation Society's old operating site within Parramana Park.
In 1993 Stevo was moved into the Rail Transport Museum (RTM) workshops at Thlrlmere. Here a thorough and comprehensive restoration project was commenced by the society, In conjunction with the RTM maintenance team. Fortunately Stevo had been moved to Thirlmere just some weeks before the Parramatta Park fire of that year.
Stevo was transferred here to Valley Heights in 1999 when nearing the end of the restoration processes. Society members applied the finishing touches in time for the locomotive to be certified for operation.