Bogie refrigerator van MRC 27506
About the exhibit
The van arrived at Valley Heights in July 2009 and after many years of being exposed to the weather elements both while in service and at Thirlmere the general condition of the van had deteriorated to the point that the roof leaked during wet weather conditions.
When the MRC arrived from Thirlmere we planned to use this van for storage purposes and some shelving was installed inside the van to cater for this purpose. However, it soon became apparent that the roof leaked during periods of rain and the MRC was moved to the protection of the roundhouse for the short term to allow repairs to the roof to be undertaken.
On Australia Day 2014, the Museum unveiled the restored van MRC 25706 which had been the subject of a complete restoration over a period of four years. The van was restored to represent a Nepean Milk Van that regularly conveyed milk from the Nepean Milk Factory at Penrith to Katoomba and Lithgow.
Transport Heritage NSW trading as Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum
Bogie Refrigerator Van MRC 25706 was built by Commonwealth Engineering between 1946-1950. It has heritage significance as a rare and intact example of a Refrigerator Van of a total fleet of 250 constructed during the first half of the 20th century.
MRC 25760 represents the first type of refrigerator car to use a substantial steel-truss body framing, that supports both outside and internal panelling, which was revolutionary in terms of running characteristics with the replacement of 'archbar' bogies with a new style of bogie that was suitable for consistent high speed running. These new bogies allowed for the attachment of such vehicles to express mail and passenger trains. This vehicle is significant as an important link in the transport of perishable meat between country abattoirs and city markets, thus facilitating the spread of country abattoirs.
This van is labelled with Nepean Milk and was used to carry milk.
Classified NRMA 25706 in the 1979 classification.
This exhibit is listed on the RailCorp Section 170 Heritage & Conservation Register - Movable Heritage which contains additional information about the exhibit.