Operated by...

The Valley Heights Room

The Valley Heights Room introduces members to the history of the Valley Heights site.

The Valley 1875-1890

This model is a diorama of the original station at Valley Heights:

  • In 1875 a platform known as Eagar's was provided for the Colonial Treasurer, Mr Geoffrey Eagar, who was also the owner of Welcome Inn at this location.

  • In 1877, Eagar's Platform became known as The Valley.

  • In 1890 it became known as Valley Heights.

Diorama of The Valley

The Valley

View to the north east

Diorama of The Valley

The Valley

View to the west

Diorama of The Valley

The Valley

View to the north west

Valley Heights during the life of the depot

  • See photos around the walls illustrating the working life of the depot

Valley Heights in the 1950s

The Valley Heights Room introduces members to the history of the Valley Heights site.

  • See the model of the first station in the 19th century.

  • See photos across the working life of the depot

  • See a model of trains running in the 1950s

This layout of Valley Heights in the early 1950s features:

  • The 2 storey signal box (in December 1951 the top level of the Signal Box was destroyed by bushfires resulting in operations being relocated to the ground floor)

  • Facilities to water steam locomotives prior to the climb from Valley Heights to Katoomba

  • The coal stage, removed in the early 1960s

  • The building which houses the shop, prior to the extension which now houses the working model of Valley Heights

This layout is DCC controlled and features locomotives and rolling stock common in the 1950s.

Valley Heights layout aerial viewUp train approaching Valley HeightsValley Heights signalboxValley Heights down yard50 class loading coal Valley Heights roundhouseValley Heights coalstage57 class loco on freight in down refuge

Model kits of Valley Heights available commercially



Take a virtual 3D tour of the Valley Heights Room...